Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wynn--Pre-op

I'm back in Jerome while Meg and Wynn remain in Ogden for a few days. It's hard to believe that only 48 hours ago, Wynn was coming out of 4 hours of surgery. He's doing great...hopefully he continues on that path.

Pre-op

Wynn did not like getting into his hospital garb. He knew something was up. Fortunately, there were some stethoscopes to distract him.
Once we met with the pre-op nurse, we went to the designated area where patients and their family wait before going into surgery. There, we met the surgeon as well as the anesthesiologist who answered our questions and reviewed again what the surgery would entail, etc. There were 1/2 a dozen other kids in there waiting for their own surgeries...seeing them didn't assuage any of my own anxiety for Wynn, but did put things in perspective.

Wynn went in to surgery about 11:15 a.m.. Megan and I went to the family waiting room where we waited. Every hour or so, the nurse that was in the surgery room would call in updates as to how the surgery was progressing. The receptionist in the waiting room would call out "Parent for Waylyn Williams!", and Meg would go up to the front desk in the waiting room and receive the status report over the phone from the nurse. I would watch Meg's expression from afar and was relieved each time as there was no panic from her. Meanwhile, I read about half of the book "What it means to be a Cougar", which did a good job of keeping me occupied. Meg read, and took down a jaw breaker in record fashion. Also while we waited, Lindsay and Randy met us outside of the hospital to drop off a care package they and Erin/Ben got together for Wynn and us. That was awesome, as were the many texts and messages we received from family and friends. I must say, those 4 hours felt a lot longer than that, but your collective concern and support was/is much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that he's doing well. How stressful for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that all went well and that the surgery is behind you guys now. What a little champ!!! You are a tough little guy Wynn, and we love you! Hats off the the momma and daddy too! :)

    ReplyDelete