For example:
- When Dad asks "Can I help you with that?" It generally means 1 of 2 things and rarely a 3rd. 1) You are not doing it right, or 2) You are not doing it fast enough, or as I learned this past week 3) You are potentially using a power miter box in an unorthodox way and he would rather risk his fingers.
- When Dad asks you to "Hand me that" this does not merit the response of "What?" In fact, by him merely asking, you are already far behind. I generally watch and try to have two options handy just in case I've guessed the wrong item or tool.
- If you hear "Son of a B$#@*" from Dad's direction, you are suppose to cuss the tool or item he is working with as well as it was obviously not designed correctly or not functioning as it is suppose to. Otherwise you might hear "Dumb A$$" from his direction, which means you leave him alone as the error in question is his fault. I have learned why this type of work causes people to swear, as this is not my Dad's normal vernacular.
All in all, I will miss my time working with Mom and Dad. Dad's near brilliance (not an overstatement) combined with Mom's stellar organizational effectiveness help me understand why they must have made a pretty formidable team in the business world. It is amazing to watch Dad's brain work and I couldn't have a better teacher.
Dad's SWEET handiwork. The metalwork was done at a shop in Ogden, but Dad made the newel posts himself--I could not have pictured anything more beautiful!
It's BEAUTIFUL! And, I loved your comments about your Dad...didn't know he swore like a sailor. SHEESH! So fun to see you at the shower.
ReplyDeleteI got a pretty good laugh out of this post but not as much spasm of of the diaphragm as the picture of Dad saying he was full because he ate so much dirt and had it across his face.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree about Dad's brilliance and Mom's organization.
ReplyDelete