Sunday, February 21, 2010

Politians not only want to kiss your child...

but name it as well!

Brian and I, through events we are still trying to figure out, were invited to a Republican Party dinner this last Friday night. It was a very interesting evening, with pretty good food. Both U.S. senators were on hand in addition to state senators, house representatives, attorney general, state superintendent, county officials, and the governor, to name a few.

I wore a black cocktail dress and fortunately, or unfortunately pending how you look at it (thanks to my alien long torso), I still just look a little pudgy instead of pregnant. We caught up with Idaho Supreme Court Justice Roger Burdick, whom I have met at Law school functions in the past. He is from Jerome and a friend of Brian's family. Upon hearing that we are going to have a baby boy, he immediately named it Roger. Before I knew it, we were being introduced as Megan, Brian and Roger. Because he is up for re-election, he also reminded us, and Roger to vote--to which Brian replied some politicians had got in trouble for in the past.

Generally speaking it was a nice evening, and I was able to scope out many legislators who will be receiving letters from me. Mike Reagan (Ronald Reagan's) son spoke and had some fun stories and was consistently interrupted with spontaneous applause. Both Brian and I were a little frustrated with the undertones--and sometimes overtones--of straight party/Obama bashing. We prefer bashing ideas and proposing alternatives, so maybe Brian isn't cut out to be a politician after all!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! Total politician story...Just be grateful you didn't run into DICK Cheney or NEWT Gingrich - I think I would prefer my son being called Roger over those other two options :-)

    ReplyDelete