Sunday, June 30, 2013

Phillipsburg, America

Mining sapphires really works up the appetite.  We traveled to nearby Phillipsburg for some grub.  Phillipsburg is an old mining town straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting.  Cool little stores and restaurants with American flag-lined streets at the base of mountain ranges on all sides. 
We ate at a place called Doe Brothers Restaurant...highly recommend its deliciousness to all.  I thought I would live a little dangerously and ordered...a cheeseburger and fries.  Fantastic! 

At the height of its mining prowess, Phillipsburg was home to a number of Chinese families.

Excellent ice cream, too.



Evan Coppin.  Fan of chocolate ice cream cones and pirates...I'm starting to wonder if his father is actually the famous Ute-pirate.

 After lunch, we traveled directly across the street to famous The Sweet Palace candy store. 
 
 Candy everywhere.  And a tremendous variety...they even had a brand of peachies that are made in Spain...we bought some and I can verify the authenticity of the Spanish Peachie, having eaten a few many years ago.  They also make their own taffy and fudge...and you can sample both, which I gladly did.  And they had a huge selection of truffles, which Dad partook of for his father's day gift.  I heard they were excellent.

You can also purchase ginormous packs of smarties...which Wynn kindly asked us to do.



1 comment: