Sunday, May 1, 2011

Windy Days make you grateful for the pretty ones.

You know it is spring in Idaho when the wind is blowing and there is manual labor in store. The project this year is garden boxes. With such a large garden area, I didn't want to spend my entire life weeding, so garden boxes seemed a natural choice and just as much a landscaping component as functional garden.

Each garden post is fastened with half of a t-post and gravel. Each t-post had to be sledged in...Dad and I traded off. Dad kept saying "When I nod my head, you hit it," then chuckling to himself. By day two I finally caught on--get it, don't hit his head, hit the post! Ha! I did almost get taken out with a rubber mallet during sprinkler installation, better the rubber mallet than the sledge hammer!


Sprinklers = Evil 2-ft walk behind trencher. Do you know what makes a trencher worse? Trenching in the freezing wind and rain. I asked the men at the rental center if they give a discount if you are dumb enough to rent the trencher in the rain--they didn't think I was too funny. We learned that 2 people pulling and positioning the trencher is more effective.




The beautiful boxes. Like little army barracks they lined up quite nicely thanks to Dad's painstaking measuring. I'm more of a cut twice measure once sort of gal, but it's a good thing Dad is slightly more accurate.


Saturday, Brian and I placed the railroad ties. Because of Dad's accurate effort, we couldn't have them looking a skew. I am happy to report that they are all level and exactly 3'9.5" away from the garden box line.


"Lavell, Pose!...Good boy."



n

Little boys and big boys love tractors. What a good Grampy.

No comments:

Post a Comment