Saturday, December 18, 2010

It's okay not to LOVE motherhood.

Some of you may be concerned at this title. Let me explain.

With the advent of motherhood comes the inevitable leading question--"Aren't you just loving motherhood?" At first my response was a practiced, "Of course, it's wonderful," then I started to realize I may need to ask for clarification. Are you asking if I love him? Then yes, of course. If you're asking if I love motherhood, you might get a more mixed response.

Do I love sleepless nights, poopy diapers, being screamed at for no apparent reason (although I'm sure its a good one), being on the edge of my sanity, and feeling non-stop guilt that I am likely "doing it" wrong? No.

In a discussion recently with a more seasoned father he explained he felt it was like serving a mission. Everyone tells you it is the best two years, not lots of frustrating hard work.

After being on the outside looking in for so many years I feel an added pressure to reply with the glowing response people are looking for, but again, knowing that feeling alone helps no one, I would like to take the more open approach.

My heart melts with every smile and giggle. Watching him sleep and merely having him in our home brings a little bit of heaven closer. So I believe the question is not whether you love motherhood, but is it worth it? And yes, in case I've left any doubt...absolutely.





3 comments:

  1. It's great that our friendship is getting even better. Fun post. Lib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honesty. I think motherhood is dang hard, and we as mothers are too hard on ourselves sometimes!

    P.S. He's so stinkin cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once a mother, always a mother as my grandma used to say! Great pics. Love the honesty!

    ReplyDelete